Friday

Yesterday Was When You Died


God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages. -Jacques Deval



I just keep thinking..

She didn't fight back. She didn't fight back. She didn't fight back. She didn't fight back. She didn't fight back. She didn't fight back. She didn't fight back. She didn't fight back. She didn't fight back. She didn't fight back. She didn't fight back. She didn't fight back. She didn't fight back.

And..

What if she hoped we were there to save her.. What was her last though. Are they capable of thought like us? What if she hoped my hand would come and take her away...?

And..

Would it be different now if we had kept the door open? She could've flown out to safety...

And..

I didn't look at the cage when I went to the kitchen first thing in the morning. I didn't look. What if she was still alive? What if I could've helped her?

It's funny that when I heard about my uncle, I couldn't have cared less, but when my pet bird died, I cried. I have actually been crying for eight hours now.

Her roommate, the white one, DOES miss her and this is not me humanizing it. I've been watching their behavior for over a year now and I know now that she is confused. It broke my heart when she was going on the floor, pecking at the rug and doing her "meep" sound which they used in order to know where the other one was. No reply. She did it again a couple of times, then went to the place where the other one used to peck the oven and "meep". Now it's all quiet. I cannot believe how much I miss that sound. And I feel sorry for the white one who is now all alone.

"In the night of death, hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing."
-Robert Ingersoll