Thursday

What The *Bleep* Happened 28th September 1994?

I got curious about M/S Estonia, the ship that sank on international waters near Finland in 1994. I was only 13 at that time, so I couldn't bother getting interested.

I saw a documentary (a very hypocritical one) about the conspiracy around the accident. After a short research I came to the conclusion that something isn't right about that night and the following months. A few finns and hundreds of Estonian and Swedish people died on Estonia, but I'm beginning to believe there was something sinister behind all this..

This is what I made of the emergency call made to the other ships. I'm sorry if it's a poor transcript, since Swedish is my third language and the recording I got my hands on was very poor and somehow I feel it's been retouched. It's amazing what Audition can find. Even the emergency call wasn't made according to the standards as you can see..

It starts with a standard procedure, Estonia is calling Europa: Notice that I tried to translate the language mistakes they made..

Estonia: Europa, Estonia... Silja Europa, Estonia
Europa: Estonia, This is Silja Europe Replying on Channel 16
(pause)
Estonia: Silja Europ*
(longer pause)
Europa: Estonia, This is Silja Eur.. Europe, on Channel 16
(static several seconds)(this is what sounds like it's edited off)
Estonia: Silja Europa, Viking Estonia
Europa: Estonia, Estonia
Estonia: Mayday, Mayday
(breaking)
Estonia: Silja Europa, Estonia
Europa: Estonia, Silja Europa, Are you repl* calling Mayday?
(Silence)
Europa: Estonia, What's going on? Can you reply?
Estonia: This is Estonia, (in Finnish:) Who it is there? (?)
Estonia: Silja Europa, Estonia
Europa: Estonia, This is Silja Europa
Estonia: (In Finnish) Good morning, do you speak Finnish?
Europa: (In Finnish) Yes, I speak Finnish
Estonia: (in Finnish) Yes, We now have a problem here. Have a bad lurch, to the right side. Believe twenty-thirty degrees. Could you come to aid and ask Viking Line to help too?
Europa: Yes, Viking Line is here behind us and they surely got the information. Could you give us your position?
Estonia: You mean ours? Yes, It's breaki*, we have a blackout. We couldn't get... I can't say it pre*
Europa: OK, clear, We'll sta.. begin taking steps.
Mariella: (In Swedish) Silja Europa, Mariella
Europa: Silja Europa, Here Marie... here* her* (chuckles) Mariella, (In Swedish) This is Europa, sixteen.
Mariella: (In Swedish) Have you cleared (?) thei.. their... their position? Do they have..(incoherent)on (Incoherent) larboard(?) side (In German) Or what?
Europa: (In Swedish) We didn't get their position, but they now must be somewhere near here. They have 20-30 -degree starboard inclination and (in English) Blackout..
Mariella: (In Swedish) Yes, Are they.. I believe.. they are(incoherent)hours from (break) are about 35 degrees from..
Europa: (In Swedish) Ok, Yes, I'm reversing(or turning/slowing, it's incoherent) the ship right now.

What were the police divers doing in that ship later when it was investigated? Why did they break into a luxury suite? What did they get from there?

Why didn't the Russian ships close by offer any help? I'm sorry, but that sounds awfully like they had something to hide since they hurried away from the site.

If they were planning to kill someone on board, why not send someone to kill them, why sink the whole ship?

What did MI6 have to investigate there?

Where did some of the saved people disappear? Did they know something and were moved to witness protection or what?

Did they find evidence of air pockets or was that just a conspiracy theory?

Was there a letter written AFTER the ship sunk?

I'm not usually sad because of people who get killed while in transit (they started the journey and knew they might die and I hate all the hypocrisy around these accidents), but that would be a horrible way to die, since the truth is obviously a bit twisted in this case. I hope most of the people who died stayed asleep, at least.

What the hell happened, really?