Friday

SAVE HUBBLE!

It has brought us images and information we'd otherwise wait for gods-know-how-long. It has made scientists' life easier for a very long time now and they are just letting it slowly die alone up there. No fixing flight because of a bunch of idiots who sob after people who voluntarely left the ground, knowing they might die. I have had almost a similar talk about the soldiers sent to Irak (they also knew that choosing military career would possibly take them to war).

Hubble was launched in 1990. Its original mission was supposed to last 15 years but the serving time was extended to last 20 years, with a projected end date of 2010. With the cancellation of Servicing Mission 4, Hubble will probably not last that long. The cancellation reason was the Columbia accident.

Scientists and engineers are looking at ways to stretch Hubble's life out as long as possible. Hubble has six gyroscopes. Two are broken and would have been replaced on Servicing Mission 4. Three are working and used every day. One is on standby as a backup gyroscope since 2005, if I remember correctly. The batteries Hubble uses lose their charge more quickly as they get older and eventually the batteries are unable to hold a charge and poor old Hubble becomes inoperable. Hubble will continue to orbit the Earth until they figure out how to safely de-orbit it. Hubble will fall to Earth and crash into the ocean. Thanks for that too, though I love Hubble, I'd appreciate less crap in the ocean.

They are planning to replace Hubble with the James Webb Space Telescope which would be launched in 2013 or 2014. I know JWST's mirror would be six times the one in Hubble, but Hubble is like a grand-dad for me, providing the means for the future. It's a shame it's just going to get dropped down because it's getting old.

If Hubble was designed to fit for instance, Russian equipment, I bet they'd already fixed it because they don't sob-sob-yadi-yada over a few dead people (who again, knew the risks on flight).

And the other poor thingies.. Voyagers are still going out there. I can only imagine what they get to see and experience. I wish I was there with them, just to keep them company :´) I'm glad they're still listened. I know I'm talking silly things, but I just can't stop. If you'd like to have a little moment with these thoughts, go to the Chronology of Space Exploration.

I'm sad I won't be here in 2100 to see what has been found.